$200 and publication
Max word count
We’re looking for jolly good tales. Show us the positive. The growth. The light-hearted. The heart-warming. The gut-wrenchingly beautiful. Sadness can feature, but we’re looking for evolution in the mix. Critical
We’re looking for jolly good tales. Show us the positive. The growth. The light-hearted. The heart-warming. The gut-wrenchingly beautiful. Sadness can feature, but we’re looking for evolution in the mix.
Critical thinking, humour, difference will be highly regarded.
The theme of If only…is expansive, allowing for imaginations to run wild. If you’re unsure where to start, here are some prompts to get you started. You may write of, for example about life choices made by an individual, a group, or a government. Your character might reflect on how choices made by others that affected their own life, or how they are gripped with indecision as they face a life altering situation and how they will reflect on their decision in the future. Think of the movie, Sliding Doors. The possibilities are endless. These are just a few suggestions and we look forward to reading your stories and seeing where your mind takes you.
Judges are looking for the following:
- Storytelling ability
- Adherence to the competition theme
- Spelling & Grammar
- Layout confirms to the competition guidelines
- C T Mitchell – Bestselling international mystery crime writer.
- Kylie Kaden – a thrilling voice in Australian Domestic Noir. Her second book Missing You was nominated People’s Choice Awards 2015.
- Carolyn Martinez – Director, Hawkeye Publishing + Editor + Author.
Prize Pool :
- Winner: $200AU + Anthology front cover design based on winner’s story.
- Shortlisted (2nd – 4th placed) names published.
- Top 40 stories will be published in an anthology – recording in perpetuity community spirit of 2020.